With today’s ‘zoom’ lifestyle and skyrocketing screen time hours, we tend to ignore the most important sensory organ – our eyes. Read more to learn tips and home remedies for avoiding strained eyes as well as enhancing your eye sight!
How do you know if you are straining your eyes?
- Frequent watering of eyes or redness
- Delayed lens accommodation
- Blurring of vision
- Frequent headaches while using electronic gadgets
- Sensitivity to light or bright sunlight
What are some activities which may harm my eyes?
- Excessive usage of electronic gadgets such as television, laptops, cell phones, video games etc. (especially in a dark room)
- Hot showers
- Vigorous rubbing of eyes
- Improper usage of cosmetics
- Lack of sleep
- Insufficient consumption of water
- Poor diet
Eye exercises for strained eyes
These simple exercises can be performed at home on a daily basis –
- Rub your palms and place them on your eyes. This simple practice will not only give warmth to the eye but will also help improve blood circulation.
- Concentrate on the tree around you, for 30-50 seconds. Then look away for 30 seconds. Repeat for 5 sets.
- Bounce a tennis ball, move your eye ball accordingly. Repeat for 5 sets.
- Light a candle in a dark room, close your right eye with right palm, look at the blue flame in the candle, until your eye starts watering, repeat with left eye closed. Then with both your eyes open. Repeat for 3 sets.
Nutrition for curing strained eyes
- Vegetables – green leafy vegetables, carrot, capsicum, beetroot, radish, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cucumber
- Fruits – kiwi, blueberry, straw berry, melons, guava, grapes, melons, orange
- Non-veg – fish (salmon, sardines), egg
Home remedies that can help strained eyes
- Apply cucumber Slices: Cut 2 slices of cold cucumber and place on your eyes for 5 minutes.
- Simple cold fermentation: Take an ice cube wrapped in a cotton cloth and place on your eye until pain subsides.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera pulp mixed with rose water gives a coolant effect. Can be used after a stressful day.