Manicures have gained much popularity these days and rate high in cosmetic value. Long and shaped nails are symbolic of feminine beauty. However, from a medical perspective, nail health and overall health of an individual are mirror images. Therefore, nail examination is an integral part of physical examination of a person.
What do your nails indicate about your health?
There are different signs on nails which reflect the underlying disease conditions.
- Mis-shaped, spoon shaped nails: denote Anemia.
- Pitting nails: sign of skin disease, especially psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Thickened nails: sign of fungal infections
- Splitting nails: hypothyroidism
- Yellow nails: chronic use of nail polish
- Blue nails: indicate liver disease and a respiratory disorder
- Transverse lines on nail: caused by malnutrition
- Brittle nails: result of vitamin deficiency and inadequate nail care
Thus, nurturing your nails is an important part of personal care. In case any of the above issues persist, consult a doctor and get the disease cured.
How to take care of nails naturally?
Nail grows from the nail bed, which is just beneath the skin and it takes nearly 8-9 months for the nail to grow to complete length. In addition to diet, certain home remedies and nail care techniques can help you develop healthy nails.
- A diet rich in calcium, protein, iron, gelatin and Vitamin B complex are pivotal in the growth of healthy nails.
- Vitamin C rich food like citrus fruits and Vitamin D helps to cure split nails.
- Experts do not discard the role of biotin (Vitamin H) in maintaining healthy nails, hair and skin.
- Tomatoes are considered as a wonder vegetable for nail health as they are rich in Vitamin A, C and biotin.
- Whole grains, nuts, legumes etc. are rich in biotin and thus help with nail growth.
- Drink adequate water to prevent dehydration and drying of nails.
- Apple cider vinegar has shown some benefits to improve nail strength. Dipping the nails twice a week have delivered profound benefits in strengthening of the nails.
- Olive Oil: Massage the nail bed with olive oil twice a week, helps to keep the nail bed healthy and promotes the growth of healthy nails.
- Rubbing the nails with skin of lemon or orange creates a bleaching effect and makes the nails shine and glow.
- Moisturise your nail bed with aloe vera gel or papaya pulp to reduce the brittleness of the nails.
Additional tips for nail care:
- Try to avoid harsh polish
- Buff your nails instead of colouring
Keep in mind-
- In traditional medical sciences, nails, teeth and hair growth are linked. Hence, it has been concluded that an individual’s genetic tendency greatly determines nail growth and nail type.
- With adequate dietary support, medicaments and treatments from alternative medicine root cause of the health concerns can be treated.
At Syncremedies, meet with 3 doctors from Allopathy, Ayurveda & Homoepathy TOGETHER to offer the most effective solution to your concern.
Each consult lasts a duration of 40 minutes with a treatment plan that encapsulates Diet, Exercise, Therapy and medication essential to control and treat your health concern.
You can meet the doctors online through a video consult at the convenience of your home or visit a clinic near you.