The most effective non medication ways to reduce the severity of episodes and number of episodes is:
- Cessation of smoking
- Losing excess weight
Dos and Don’ts:
Some other recommended therapies for asthma are
Elimination of animal meat from the diet.
- Overall reduction of protein in the diet.
- Increase water intake by 30%. It helps keep fluid and secretions relatively liquid.
- Eat ginger and tumeric regularly: Either add to food or add to tea.
- Elimination of PUFA..poly unsaturated fatty acids in the diet. They are present in butter, margarine, shortening, some vegetable oils, etc.
- Avoid known irritants like smoke and dust.
- Eliminate processed foods from the diet. They are notorious for all kinds of health related issues
- Increase intake of foods and supplements with antioxidants like berries, cherries, etc.
- Supplement with omega 3. Foods rich in Omega 3 are Flax seed, Salmon, nuts, grape leaves and spinach. Most people however, choose to take pills of omega 3.
- Consumption of Reishi mushroom. Can be used in soups, teas or taken in extract or pill form.
- Avoid nitrates, nitirites and sulphites..present in hot dogs, cheeses, wines, bacon and beer and other processed meats and alcohols.
- A mixture of ‘indian tobacco, cayenne pepper: this is not recommended for children, pregnant women and people with cardiac disease. But considered an excellent expectorant and stimulant to the respiratory system. (3 part tincture of lobelia + one part tincture of red or cayenne pepper). May be consumed as a tea.
- Deep tissue massage believed to break up congestion in the lung.
- The ayurveda treatment of panchakarma.
- Avoid inhaling cold air. It it’s cold outside, breathe through a scarf.
- Avoid constipation. Eat a diet that is healthy and rich in fiber. Live a life that is active.
- Practice yoga.
- Prayanama ..naadi shodhana, kapaala bhaati and bhastrika are said to be beneficial.
Some home remedies known to help during an acute attack are:
- Warm hot pack on the chest and shoulder
- Concussion to the vertebrae..forth to seventh..every half a minute for 10 minutes.
- A spoonful of Mustard oil with jaggery
- Multiple small sips of hot water or hot plain milk
- Immersing hands/feet in warm water upto the elbows or knees.
- Use of the juice of the plant, Solanum surattense about 7-10 ml.
- Use of Piper logum (Pippalee) with honey.
Yoga poses known to help asthma and strengthen lung
- Ashtang namaskaram
- Ashwasanchanlan asan